Powered by Data is Growing! Job Posting: Communications Lead
Powered by Data is a nonprofit project on the Tides Canada shared platform. We work with charities, nonprofits, funders, and governments to help them better use, share, and learn from data. We are a leading organization in the world working on how technology and data are used by the nonprofit sector as a whole. We are focused on building coalitions of nonprofits, funders, and governments to use data and technology for public benefit. We see an opportunity to advocate collectively for specific infrastructure projects that could be true game-changers for data-enabled social impact in Canada.
A major focus of our work is in working with diverse partners across the non-profit sector. To support that, we need help putting our thoughts to paper and then disseminating them to the right stakeholders - so we are looking to add more communications capacity to our team to help do that work.
You’re a listener, and a doer - as the Communications Lead, you’ll be responsible for the content we need to create for external audiences - the communications pieces, proposals, and research that drives our work. This looks like actively learning about complex new topics and transforming the messy ideas from our discussions into concise, clear materials that resonate with our target audiences - funders, nonprofits, and governments.
Specifically, your responsibilities will consist of:
- Implementing our Communications strategies - by developing and publishing content on our website, blog, Twitter, and other channels
- Supporting our partnership development work - by helping to write persuasive grant applications, project proposals, and relevant communications materials.
- Supporting our coalition-building and other projects - by drafting reports and other deliverables, as well as presentations and slide decks that quickly and effectively communicate our work and its impact
Relevant Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in relevant field preferred
- 3-5 years experience in a role focused on writing and developing content
- Demonstrable experience developing content tailored to specific audiences
- Experience in the non-profit sector and/or public policy a strong asset
Working hours: Full-time
How to Apply
Together with your resume, please forward a 1-page cover letter that includes your responses to the following questions:
- How do you relate to Powered by Data’s vision?
- What interests you most about this position?
- How would your skills and experiences (personal and professional) translate into success in this position?
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com by January 22nd, 2018. If you have questions about the role, please feel free to reach out to us at the address provided above.
We are hoping to conduct interviews at the end of January. If you will not be available for some or all of that time period, please mention this in your cover letter. The ideal start for this role is the beginning of February.
We believe in the need for experience, knowledge, and guidance from marginalized and oppressed peoples within any progressively oriented organization. People with disabilities, women, Indigenous peoples, members of racialized groups and members of other historically marginalized communities are encouraged to apply. If you would like to be considered for employment equity please indicate this on your covering letter by including the statement “I would like to be considered for employment equity.” No further elaboration is necessary, but you are free to add more information if you would like. Where candidates don’t differ significantly in terms of other desired qualifications, priority will be given to those being considered for employment equity.